Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Trip to the Vet

It was time for Kitty's annual check-up, and of course it had to be on the hottest day (so far) of the year (33C). Here's the routine: Kitty goes into her carrier, the carrier goes into the cargo trailer, the lid gets put on the trailer to keep visual stimulation down for her. But not today - I figured she'd be a rather unhappy feline in this heat, so the top stayed off and the breeze generated by cycling kept her from overheating.


carrier inside trailer


there's foam padding underneath to smooth the ride

She meowed on and off for the first half of the 2 km journey, but then settled down to the odd complaint. It was fun passing pedestrians, as they heard "meooow!" but couldn't quite figure where it was coming from. Once we got to the Vet she was fine, and her examination did not take long and she got her shots and then back into the carrier. She didn't meow as much on the way home, and once back indoors she quickly forgave me for my transgression. On Thursday it's Jett's turn, and this will be his first trip by bike, since when I got him last year he had already gotten his shots...


"OK, you can put me and that stoopid camera down, and let me out!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a good fit! Foam padding's a great idea, I never thought of that.

I remember taking Jake to the vet in my kid trailer (the homemade one Kerri sold to me), and the looks people gave me when they looked down indulgently at the complaining "baby" and then did double-takes as they realized it was a cat in a cage (and not, uh, a baby in a cage?)! (Kerri, if you're reading, I sold it on to Sharon B. who uses it as a beer trailer! She gets compliments on it at the beer store. Very sturdy trailer, your Dad did an amazing job with it.)

Good luck to Jett on his upcoming voyage...

Tanya said...

Good idea on the foam padding. Have you tried taking the kitties on any longer voyages? I haven't rigged up anything for cat rides yet - I figure they probably won't find them as fun as I find them! and the vet I go to is about 300m away so we just walk there.

Mike said...

When my cat was a kitten he loved bike rides in a cage strapped to the rear rack. Of course we was small enough he could walk around inside and look at things. Then he got bigger and bike rides became a meow fest. Then he got really big so got moved off the rack and into a trailler which he liked even less as he could no longer see me. He always made the same noises while travelling in a car too... cats just don't like to be moved.

Mark said...

Regarding the foam, I used a few layers of really soft stuff. One block of stiffer foam would probably not be as effective (too rigid), and four layers of soft gives a nice cushion.

All the cats I've known have engaged in the meow fest during travel, so I keep their trips as short as I can. Though one previous cat definitely liked the bike over my old car, as I think the motor noise and speed really bothered her.

I've even thought of using my recumbent, but the carrier is a bit too big for the tailbox, though it would fit if I stood it on end. That would then turn the tailbox into a catbox. Or a cat-tail box. Or something...

Of course, perhaps I'll find out tomorrow that Jett, being the silly lad that he is, will think bike travel is just fabulous.