Monday, October 30, 2006

All the World's a Stage

As a working musician I find myself setting up my drums in some interesting spaces. Anywhere from jammed into a tight corner of a restaurant, to a festival stage where my drum riser is the size of my living room, and the nearest musician is 25 feet away! I thought it would be fun to take some photos of such places, so this is the first installment of "where I work", aka "all the world's a stage".

This past Saturday saw the Custums playing a fundraiser at the Aviation Musuem. This was our third year in a row for this event, and this year was special because they actually had a stage for us (last year we set up under the wing of one of the planes!). So the actual performance area was quite ordinary, but the setting was interesting with all the aircraft in close proximity. I took a few photos...


setting up the stage


a cool gyrocopter


An experimental plane. The outline on the left arm of the 'A' reads "cut here in an emergency"


a much larger 'copter, with rear view into the interior


This was on a smaller one. I'll bet you learn to duck... :P


Speaking of ducking, this is the wing we played under last year.


This tiny thing was the first production rocket-powered plane. Apparently they had a nasty tendency of blowing up upon take-off or landing.


Happy to set up in front of a Canadian classic

No comments: